Why would anyone want to buy diamonds online? You can not see them first-hand. You basically have to look at them through a picture. But let's throw all of that to the side and look at the advantages. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages and that is something that is about to become obvious.
First of all, you have the ability to look up the reputation of a particular seller. You do not have to be left in the dark. Once you find out that a particular seller has a great reputation, you can be relieved that you're dealing with someone who tells it how it is. They're not just telling you what you want to hear. However, make sure you still ask for such information as their credentials, whether or not they belong to a jewelry association, what their policies are, etc., so that you know you are safe. To really make sure you're safe; always check the Better Business Bureau for negative reports.
As for advantages, you'll notice that the prices are much better than what you're going to get at a jewelry store. This is because the overhead of the online diamond store is minimal since websites are affordable to build and maintain. That savings is passed onto you.
So now that you know how to identify quality sellers, here are some tips to buying diamonds online:
- You're going to be presented with a lot more choices online, so first you need to narrow it down to the styles that you like.
- Once you have decided which styles you like, you can then start eliminating based on price. This will leave you with a whole new group of diamonds to choose from.
- This step is where you're going to put diamond knowledge to work. You need to know the 4 C's of diamonds, which means you need to know how color, clarity, carat, and cut are graduated. That way you know what diamonds are truly the best. You can even use this knowledge to better help you determine what price range is the best for you.
- As stated before, you need to look at policies. Check out their customer service, their return policies, and that they have certificates for the individual diamond pieces that they carry. You also need to acquire information on how it is they are going to ship the diamond.
- Any time that you're making an extremely expensive diamond purchase, make sure that you use an escrow service. This will protect you in the case that the deal does not pan out the way you want it to.
So now you have an idea of how you can pick the right diamond, what the advantages of buying online are, and what things you must look out for when picking out the perfect diamond from an online store. Another thing to look out for is that the diamond is set inside of a real jewelry piece. This means a diamond ring is going to be set in a ring that is made of gold or the metal of your choice. Taking all of these steps will ensure that you have a quality diamond from a quality online jeweler.